Scholarship Applications Available
Submitted by Larry Viterna
USA Funds Services
Applications are available for the USA Funds® Access to Education Scholarships™ for the 2003-2004 academic year. Applications are available for downloading on the USA Funds Web site, www.usafunds.org. The application deadline is March 15, 2003.
Financial-aid administrators will receive information about the program by mail.
The program will assist eligible students in achieving their higher-education goals by awarding a total of up to $3 million in renewable scholarships to qualified students demonstrating financial need, according to the following criteria:
USA Funds Access to Education Scholarships are open to high-school seniors, currently enrolled college students or incoming college students who:
- Plan to enroll or are enrolled in full- or half-time undergraduate or full-time graduate coursework at an accredited two- or four-year college, university or vocational/technical school. Eligible applicants include students attending or planning to attend law school, medical school or other professional-degree programs. GED recipients also are eligible. Students must plan to enroll or be enrolled beginning with the fall 2003 term through Feb. 1, 2004.
- Have an annual adjusted gross family income of $35,000 or less, as documented on a 2002 federal income-tax return on which the applicant is claimed as a federal tax exemption.
- Are U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens.
- Are not currently in default on a federal education loan.
Special consideration will be given to applicants from Kansas, where USA Funds is the designated guarantor of federal education loans. Additionally, up to 50 percent of the scholarship awards will be targeted to applicants who are members of an ethnic-minority group or have a documented physical disability.
The program will award scholarships worth $1,500 for full-time students and $750 for half-time undergraduate students. The scholarships may be renewed annually, if the student maintains a 2.5 grade-point average on a four-point scale, until the continuously enrolled student receives a final degree or certificate, or until the total award to the student reaches $6,000.
SELECTION OF RECIPIENTS:
Scholarship awards also will be based on the applicant’s:
- Past academic performance and future potential.
- Leadership and participation in school and community activities.
- Work experience.
- Career and educational aspirations and goals.
- Unusual personal or family circumstances.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
More details about USA Funds Access to Education Scholarships for the 2003-2004 academic year are available at www.usafunds.org/borrowers/access_to_education_scholarship.html on the USA Funds Web site. Questions may be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.